Shared Use Trial Public Comment and Survey period now closed.
The formal public comment period is closed for the Wellington Park Management Trust trial of shared use on the Pillinger Drive Track.
What happens next?
- Survey and monitoring data and online feedback will be collated by the Wellington Park Manager and Ranger into a report for the Trust.
- Pillinger Drive track shall remain shared use until the Trust considers the results of the trial.
The Wellington Park Management Trust resolved to continue the trial of Pillinger Drive Track as a shared use track until the end of June 2017.
The extension allowed time for the Trust to get further user feedback following completion of track improvement works in January 2017.
In 2016 the Wellington Park Management Trust carried out a trial conversion of Pillinger Drive Track and the section of Middle Track between Reservoir Trail and Radfords Track from single use (walkers only) to shared use (walkers and bike riders).
The purpose of the trial was to see if these tracks could provide a suitable off-road link from Fern Tree Park to The Springs for bike riders.
During the initial shared use trial the Trust obtained:
· feedback from track users via on-site survey
· data from user counts (number and type of user)
· feedback from the community via an online form on the Trust website
· data from monitoring of track surface erosion and corridor change.
The results indicated a high level of support for continued shared use of the upper section of Middle Track and no indication of any adverse impacts on the track. However, the Trust noted that some users expressed concerns about the suitability of Pillinger Drive Track for shared use.
In July 2016 the Trust resolved
(1) to permanently convert the upper section of Middle Track from Radfords Track to Reservoir Trail to shared use for cycling and walking;
(2) to extend the trial of shared use on Pillinger Drive Track to the end of 2016 while it discusses how best to address user concerns with the City of Hobart.
Shared Use Trial extended until June 30, 2017
After a site inspection with the City of Hobart a number of improvements to Pillinger Drive Track were agreed on that should improve the track for shared use. These works were completed in January and the shared use trial of Pillinger Drive track was been extended to the end of June 2017 to allow for further monitoring and community feedback about a number of key issues:
· Have the improvements to the track made it easier to use and safer?
· Do you have any suggestions for further improvements?
· User behaviour: are walkers and riders sharing the track respectfully?
· User safety: are walkers and riders sharing the track safely?
· Physical impacts: is shared use physically affecting the track more than single use?
· Your experience: with the track improvements, how does shared use affect your ‘experience’ of using the Pillinger Drive Track?
The Trust thanks users for their participation in the trial process.
Contact the Wellington Park Ranger Ben Masterman with any queries at Ben.Masterman@wellingtonpark.org.au or on 0408 517 534