Pillinger Drive Track shared use trial extended until June 30, 2017
The Wellington Park Management Trust has resolved to continue the trial of Pillinger Drive Track as a shared use track until the end of June 2017.
The extension will allow time for the Trust to get further user feedback following completion of track improvement works.
In 2016 the Wellington Park Management Trust carried out a trial conversion of Pillinger Drive Track and the section of Middle Track between Reservoir Trail and Radfords Track from single use (walkers only) to shared use (walkers and bike riders).
The purpose of the trial was to see if these tracks could provide a suitable off-road link from Fern Tree Park to The Springs for bike riders.
During the initial shared use trial the Trust obtained:
· feedback from track users via on-site survey
· data from user counts (number and type of user)
· feedback from the community via an online form on the Trust website
· data from monitoring of track surface erosion and corridor change.
A summary of the results is available here. The results indicated a high level of support for continued shared use of the upper section of Middle Track and no indication of any adverse impacts on the track. However, the Trust noted that some users expressed concerns about the suitability of Pillinger Drive Track for shared use.
In July 2016 the Trust resolved
(1) to permanently convert the upper section of Middle Track from Radfords Track to Reservoir Trail to shared use for cycling and walking;
(2) to extend the trial of shared use on Pillinger Drive Track to the end of 2016 while it discusses how best to address user concerns with the City of Hobart.
Shared Use Trial extended until June 30, 2017
After a site inspection with the City of Hobart a number of improvements to Pillinger Drive Track were agreed on that should improve the track for shared use. These works have now been completed and the shared use trial of Pillinger Drive track as been extended to the end of June 2017 to allow for further monitoring and community feedback.
Community Opinion Sought
The Trust would like to hear your opinions, ideas and suggestions about the following issues concerning the shared use of Pillinger Drive Track:
- Have the improvements to the track made it easier to use and safer?
- Do you have any suggestions for further improvements?
- User behaviour: are walkers and riders sharing the track respectfully?
- User safety: are walkers and riders sharing the track safely?
- Physical impacts: is shared use physically affecting the track more than single use?
- Your experience: with the track improvements, how does shared use affect your ‘experience’ of using the Pillinger Drive Track?
Please fill out and submit the online feedback form or write to:
Wellington Park Management Trust
PO Box 503
Hobart TAS 7001
You can also download a copy of the form, fill it out and email it to email@example.com.
Motion Sensing Cameras will be in use periodically.
The Trust is using motion sensing cameras as part of the monitoring program associated with the shared use trial on Pillinger Drive track. Cameras are being used as they allow us to distinguish between riders and walkers, and also determine direction of travel. The only information recorded from the pictures is the number of walkers and riders using the track and their direction of travel. No sound or video is recorded and all photos are deleted after counting. Signs will be installed nearby to alert users to their presence.
The cameras will generally only be in operation for short periods to allow us to determine usage trends. The information will be used, along with survey and other monitoring data, to help the Trust decide if the track should be permanently converted to shared use.
For further information please call the Wellington Park Ranger on 0408 517 534.
Bike riders are asked to follow the Riders Code based on the International Mountain Bike Association’s Rules of the Trail.